Thanks to Diner, $1,000 raised for underfunded schools!
Thanks to our friends at Diner, we raised over $1,000 to benefit our underfunded schools in the Bronx! On March 30th, 2017, a group of 16 kids prepared a dish of roasted carrots served over whipped yogurt with toasted sunflower seeds and chopped raisins. That dish inspired by our students was then featured on the menu for the following week, with a portion of the proceeds returning to Allergic to Salad and our school programs.
We are grateful to Chef Adam Baumgart for teaching the class and to all of the staff at Diner for helping us set up the space. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, Chef Adam came to Diner in 2016 after stints as Executive Chef at Houseman (Hudson Square) and Sous and Pastry Chef at Marco’s (Brooklyn). Under his guidance, Diner, opened on a leap of faith by restaurateur Andrew Tarlow in 1998, features a daily changing menu with seasonal and local ingredients.
During the class we taste-tested fresh herbs, honed our knife skills, and learned about plating an appetizer. Many thanks to those who attended the class, and customers who ordered the carrots! If you want to try your hand at making them at home, here’s our approximation of the recipe:
Roasted Carrots with Whipped Yogurt
5 Whole carrots, stems removed
1/8 cup olive oil
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1/4 cup Greek Yogurt, whipped vigorously
1 tbsp raisins, chopped into small pieces.
1 sprig each of dill and parsley
Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss the carrots in the olive oil with a little bit of salt and roast in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until the outsides are beginning to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, pan roast the sunflower seeds over medium heat on the stove top, stirring constantly until they start to brown slightly. Remove from heat.
- Allow the carrots to cool and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Prepare a plate with a generous dollop of yogurt, spread across it. Arrange the carrots over the yogurt, and sprinkle with the sunflower seeds and raisins.
- Garnish with herbs and serve.