Work with Us!
Are you passionate about cooking, healthy eating and educating children? We’re always looking for new educators to join our team of educators!
Candidate should be a highly reliable, on time, good, clear communicator, flexible and positive team player and outspoken and comfortable working with children and comfortable working independently leading a class of students. Opinions regarding issues around food access, food justice and local foods a big plus. A knowledge of, and willingness to teach a variety of cuisines, as well as an ability to “cook on the fly” if needed. 2+ years experience teaching children in some capacity a MUST. Experience teaching/managing a classroom (pre-school aged or older) NECESSARY!
At least 2 years working with children highly preferred. Culinary degree not necessary.
- Leading and/or assisting kids’ cooking events (classes, parties, and special events) for kids aged 2.5 to 16, as well as some high school/adult/family classes.
- Prep for classes: purchasing groceries and prepping/cleaning, as necessary.
- Clean up: must leave locations in condition found, or cleaner.
- Lead, supervise and aid children during cooking while building a discourse on relevant food topics.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with both parents and children.
- Follow up after classes with attendees and with Allergic to Salad.
- Potential for recipe development, testing, writing and other opportunities
- Maintain a positive, safe, supportive and welcoming environment.
Flexible/part-time. Most classes take place AFTER SCHOOL (2:30 – 6:00 PM), although some offerings available during the school day. Availability at least TWO weekdays during after-school is a must. Commitment can increase to weekends once after school classes are established.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Classroom management skills necessary.
- Reliable, self-motivated, independent, motivational
- Fun-loving and kid-loving a must.
- Some teaching background preferred, but experience w kids necessary
- Basic kitchen/cooking and food knowledge—can explain these concepts to children.
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of, or ability to quickly learn basic computer programs (example: Google Drive)
- Social media skills a plus
- Organized with an attention to detail.
- Flexible, with ability to improvise, if needed.
- Candidate may be in the process of completing a Bachelor’s Degree, Culinary Degree, or having completed either/both, tho culinary degree is not necessary.
- Child CPR/First Aid Cert a plus, or willingness to acquire.